My niece is totally into the kid show Blue's Clues, so my sister-in-law asked if I could make Blue's paw print. I used a 9 in. round cake pan for the "palm" of the paw print. For the small cakes I used small round pans that could make over-sized cupcakes. I made this cake with 2 Betty Crocker's Rainbow Chip cake mixes.
For a hidden delight in the middle of the two round 9 in cakes I cut up fresh strawberries and covered them in whipped cream. I had to freeze the cake in order to keep the whipped cream from totally dissolving into the bottom cake before frosting the cake overnight.
After freezing the cake overnight I cut the bottom cake a bit because of the melted whipped cream and the bottom cake was sticking out further in some spots than the one on top. I used whipped frosting, mixed the darkest frosting first with blue and a bit of black. Then mixed a larger batch for the lighter blueand cover the edges of the dark blue with the light. I had some white frosting left so I added Happy Birthday and added 2 white paw prints. As for the doilies for the small cakes- I could not find anything big enough to place everything together.
I think niece liked it, she was distracted with her toys for a while. But everyone thought it was good eatin' so SUCCESS!

It WAS good eatin'! The strawberry filling was my favorite part ... and a great way to end the summer!
ReplyDelete