Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dino Ready2Hatch Baby Shower Cake

So for one of my wonderful sister-in-law's baby shower, I made this cake for her soon to be born baby boy, Ian. Ian's mom was thinking of doing a dinosaur theme for his room and our baby shower built up from there. So here is how I made the cake. Be warned you may laugh at how I did a bit of this. Hee hee hee!

This may be one of those times of laughter cuz I laughed while doing it. Anyway, I got white store-bought fondant and brown food coloring (not the watery kind silly, the gel kind) and added a bit to the white fondant (looking back I don't think I mixed the color all the way but I like how it ended up anyway). Now here's the funny part. I didn't have any frosting to "glue" the fondant to the foam egg so luckily I had oreo cookies. I took the frosting from the cookies and basically "glued" the eggs down. Not recommended if you are putting fandant on cake by the way, just be good and use real frosting. Ha! This side is where the crack will be. Though now I kinda wished I put the black on first but it worked out. Can't complain. :)

The back...? I'm not sure what could be the back or front of an egg so you decide.

The "Gaping Hole" in the egg. Used black food coloring gel, not a whole lot was used thank goodness or my hands would be black. JK

Top side.

Used a edible ink pen to make the cracks and highlight the "gaping hole" makig it look more rigid I guess.

Since I've cracked many eggs in my days I figured drawing cracks weren't too hard.

Top end.

And another shot.

The eyes are pretty easy. Just rounded out the white and black fondant squished them and took a knife to the black to make those eyes look like the have light shine on them.

The "READY 2 HATCH" was my sister's idea so I rolled with it and put it on the back of the egg like more of the egg is about to open, connecting to the other cracks I had already made before.

Yes I'm lazy and got this to make the twigs and leaves for the nest which our egg is to rest in.

Green and more brown food coloring gell and very carefully and time consumingly put these together. I curved the leaving to make it look more "real".

Hand done except the middle of the 'A' I used a round fondant tool. Trust me, I couldn't do that round part by hand if I wanted to.

The finished accessories.

Now all I needed was the cake and had to wait hours for that since I had only 2 eggs when I needed 3. Psh, figures right?

Chocolate frosting on a yellow cake was made by the recipe on the back of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa. Good stuff! Baked inside of a bundt pan for the roundness and the hole to stick the egg in.

Added Ian's name.....

the twigs....

and leaves...

and wait till departure.

Warning: Frosting can soften the fondant when it's like this making the twigs and leaves sag. Do not cover like I did, keeps the moisture in.

At the baby shower waiting to surprise Ian's Mommy!

Ian is ready to hatch!
(In order to eat the cake we did remove the egg, leaves and twigs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment