Sunday, September 5, 2010

Flowers and Candyflies!

For my sis-in-law's baby shower I made candy butterflies (candyflies) made of chocolate mint and vanilla...

I also made butterflies out of Starbursts, Sour Worms and Sweet Tarts (my original plan was to go with M&Ms but one of my sisters thought it better to use something without chocolate).
The cupcakes were made in yellow, pink and purple flower cups. Which I thought looked deformed, despite what people said. LOL The candies went on top as if they were "visiting" the flower. I did this because my niece has flowers and butterflies in her room (not real ones, duh). I got some good compliments from people, especially the chocolate minted ones.

The cupcakes were made with yellow cake. This big flower cake was actually a brownie cake. I knew that my sis-in-law loved brownies, and one of the brownie boxes we had told us how to make a brownie cake and I couldn't resist the opportunity. The shape of the flower came from a flower shaped pan. Trust me I'm not willing to try sculpting just yet. LOL The frosting on the cake was the vanilla I used for the colors on the minted butterflies becuz:
1) Brownies hold their own taste and adding regular frosting seemed wrong to me.
2)I already had the vanilla and I had run out of frosting from the cupcakes. LOL
The original thought of the colors came from the colors in my niece's room. And making the colors kind of burst from yellow to purple was to include the three colors I had. I wasn't actually thinking that it would look this cool. And the idea of vines? Well I was running out of time but the cake needed more than the outline of the middle and petals. As it was I was late to the party (hee hee), but it all worked out.
The cake was a little dry for my taste but nothing a glass of milk couldn't cure. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Everything looked AMAZING and was super-yummy ... especially the mint-chocolate butterflies (which I ended up stealing a few off the cupcakes after the party).

    ReplyDelete